There are two security features any piece of software implement: authentication and authorization. Authentication systems evolved a lot over past years. OpenID, SSO, MFA, Magic links. But authorization is the forgotten child of security. Today we use the same authorization system created in the 70s.
Managing developers access to production for a fintech unicorn How a fintech unicorn is using Runops to:
- reduce time to resolution of support tickets;
- and increase feature delivery speed
by removing developers dependency on manual work from the security and DevOps teams.
We've just released the Dashboard page for admins on our Portal. 🎉
We moved a lot of furniture from place to place, and we found better locations for lots of stuff in our Portal. So get some water and get ready!
We are improving some visualizations and adding some really cool features to Runops. So ensure you have your seat belt and take that sip of water to stay hydrated while we go through the news!
If you are a developer that gets stopped by PMs all the time to do simple Firestore updates, this guide will save you a lot of time.
This is Part 2 of the series, check out Part 1 before continuing.
We got some updates on the new task page for y'all!
- We did some design updates and added some features to the new task page. So buckle up because it's the first step to improving a lot more stuff in there:
- We added a fancy pants Combobox component to the application, so you can search for all your targets and make your workflow smoother while switching and selecting targets 🕺
- Proportion and use of space were adjusted in a way you can better visualize the logs of your tasks. We managed to decrease just a little of space from the editor but make a substantial increase of space in the logs, using the same total area 👀
- Selecting a target was placed on top of where the schema for your MySQL and Postgres database is loaded to improve the organization in the page 📄
- For every target you select, we change the URL so you can save that link and always have direct access to the targets you work with the most 🔗
- We still want to improve the use of space in the logs area, so some new design updates are coming on the tab component and in the actions of that page;
- We aim to make this page very close to an IDE (Integrated Development Environment), so many more exciting features and improvements are under development or discussion.
Stay tuned 📻
Here's a quick GIF showing this experience and two screenshots comparing how it was and how it is now:
GIF showing the Combobox experience:
How it was:
How it is:
The ability to run commands inside a running ECS task was one of the most requested features of the ECS service. Yet, AWS released a pretty bad implementation if we compare it to alternatives like Kubernetes.
The new year is here. We want to celebrate with you by sharing exciting new features that will make your life a whole lot easier.
Happy 2022 and let's dive in!
Use a large canvas to edit your scripts, logs loading automatically right bellow, and all your history of executions accessible as you run things.
When you are done with a Connection, easily switch targets to run different scripts.
Wanna re-run a script from yesterday?
Filter you history to find the script you need and re-execute a task with 2 clicks!
Hit cmd (mac) / win (windows) + enter to run your script from the canvas.
No need to copy and paste the same script everyday anymore.
If you have a script you need to run every day like database check or a financial report, you can now use the Runops step in Slack Workflows to schedule the execution of a task with a few clicks, all within Slack.
After the setup you get a message from the Runops bot with the results of your task every day at the configured time.
Check out this video on how to setup: https://runops.io/docs/portuguese-videos/#tarefas-agendadas
You can also use the Runops workflow step to create shortcuts.
Use Shortcuts to make scripts such as a report or a db check accessible trough a button available in the Slack chat panel.
The Runops bot speaks SQL!
If you like running tasks from Slack you will love this one. Now you can chat with the Runops bot using SQL! That is correct, you send SQL or any script in the chat and the bot replies with the results.
Here is how to use it:
- List the available Connections by typing
- Select a target by typing
- Start sending your script and get the results back for each message!
Check out this video for more details on how to use it: https://runops.io/docs/portuguese-videos/#chatbot
Improved Agent reliability
We released multiple enhancements to the Agent communication with the API.
The latest Agent version has increased capabilities in terms of how long a task can last, the size of scripts and outputs it can handle, and many other enhancements and bug fixes.
If you aren't using the latest version already, we highly recommend you upgrade your agents.
You can find the latest version along with the full details of the changes here: https://github.com/runopsio/agent/releases
You can now run NodeJS scripts in Runops. Many of you use Python or Ruby to create more complex automations, but now you can also use NodeJS.
You can see the list of npm packages available here: https://github.com/runopsio/agent/blob/main/Dockerfile#L116 - feel free to ask for new packages or contribute with suggestions.
New organizations can now signup for Runops from the browser.
Before this release new organizations were only able to signup from our CLI. Many people love the CLI experience, but this is not the case for everyone.
So go ahead and tell your friends from other companies that they should be using Runops and can start here: https://use.runops.io/signup
That is it for this update.
As always, please let us know of any feedback, suggestion, comment, or anything that comes to mind.
See you next time!